Agricultural tractor maintenance is a fundamental operation that can be carried out successfully using a Parts Catalog, Service Manual, or Operators Manual. It must be performed quite frequently to maintain the efficiency of this important and complex machine.
A tractor is a costly machine that quickly generates income by performing significant agricultural work.
Its productivity is closely correlated with the quality of the work performed and with the excellent working condition of the tractor. Routine tractor maintenance will be essential to keep downtime to a minimum.
In addition, it should be added that a tractor is also a complex machine to which various lifting accessories, etc., are attached. This involves adding mechanical, hydraulic, and electrical systems that require motive power.
All vehicle manufacturers make available to them to use these manuals and precise use, such as the Deutz Fahr Tractor Parts Catalog, which must be consulted to carry out such operations.
Since the overall picture of tractor production is highly diverse, it is not possible to give valid indications for all; it is possible to indicate general maintenance instructions.
Finally, it must be borne in mind that constant maintenance allows for significant savings compared to the extraordinary care that would otherwise be required.
- Pressure washer
- Air compressor
- Petroleum jelly based on lithium
- Pet of keys for car repair
- Solution for cleaning electrical contacts
- Parts Manual
STEP 1 – DAILY TRACTOR MAINTENANCE
During peak periods, it is recommended to perform daily maintenance operations. Dust and the use of different tools have a significant impact on the tractor. The primary recommended operations are:
- Pressure washing of the dirtiest and muddiest parts since the persistence of dirt can cause various mechanisms to fail;
- Cleaning the radiator and protective grill with compressed air, as dust may have accumulated in large quantities, and prevent the engine coolant temperature from dropping effectively (other to be checked)
- Cleaning the air filter with compressed air ensures the engine gets enough clean air.
STEP 2 – PERIODIC MAINTENANCE: ENGINE
The engine is a fundamental vehicle component and must always be looked after in the best way.
Routine maintenance must be carried out according to the intervals (related to working hours) indicated in the user and maintenance manual of the specific individual vehicle.
However, these operations can be performed more frequently, such as after a prolonged period of work or very difficult application, before winter storage, or before resuming work in the spring. The main activities are:
- Checking the engine oil, topping up or replacing the oil, depending on the number of working hours or the quality of the oil. The same applies to the oil in the hydraulic circuit, transmission oil, and rear reducers. Always use the oil indicated in the user manual and of high quality;
- Replacing the engine oil filter and other fluid or lubricant filters with which the vehicle is equipped;
- Checking the brake fluid level and the venting of the automatic brake system tank;
- Checking the condition of the diesel pump and its filter. It is essential to check the presence of water, examine the water-oil separator and drain water accumulations, to use any plug on the filter (if any). This operation is essential to prevent water from entering the diesel fuel circuit, which has serious negative consequences. Drive belts, like accessory or compressor belts, should be examined for damage.
STEP 3 – PERIODIC TRACTOR MAINTENANCE: MECHANICAL AND HYDRAULIC COMPONENTS
Various mechanical components, such as shafts, articulated joints, hinges, moving parts, etc., are equipped with the “grease nipples” in question.
The lubrication pump (manual or pressure) is connected to them, filling the lubricating grease. On all other parts that move and may involve friction, it is helpful to apply (even daily, at the end of the program) WD-40 Specialist long-acting spray vaseline, which contains high-performance additive vaseline. This provides long-lasting lubrication and corrosion protection in critical situations.
It does not leak, has excellent adhesion and sealing properties, and is water resistant.
Its formula is effective up to 115° C, thus being suitable for a long