Azolla, a wonderful plant and it is a branched free-floating aquatic fern, and it rapidly grows on the surface of the water.
Many farmers due to Limited resources they often struggle to produce sufficient feed for that animals. But Azolla is the right option in front of them.
Azolla is ideal sustainable feed for cattle, fish, pig, and poultry apart from this its also used as biofertilizer in the farm. Hence many farmers attract toward the Azolla cultivation.
Azolla cultivation is popular in countries like China, Vietnam, and the Philippines, etc.
Azolla fixes nitrogen it is an excellent source of nitrogen also it to his high nutrient value.
For Azolla cultivation required less amount of investment hence it is a low-cost alternative for good feed and good biofertilizer.
let,s see what the benefit of Azolla is
Benefits of Azolla
Feed for livestock
Azolla contains very high proteins, amino acids, vitamins (vitamin A, vitamin B12, Beta Carotene) and minerals, so it is the excellent nutrient feed for livestock.
Also, Azolla has low lignin content. So animals easily digest.
It is observed that Feeding Azolla to poultry birds improves the weight of broiler chicken and increases the egg production of layers birds.
also in animals, it showed an overall increase of milk yield by 15–20% when 1.5–2 Kg of Azolla was combined with regular feed this experiment conducted in Natural Resources Development Project at Vivekananda Kendra.
you can feed Azolla to sheep, goat, pig, rabbit, and fish.
Azolla fixes atmospheric nitrogen and store in leaves, Therefore, it is used as green manure
It has been observed, and well appreciated by rice farmers they cultivate Azolla in paddy farm there is increase rice production by 20%.
Azolla plant can form a thick layer on water surfaces, so it uses for weed control in paddy farm.
In paddy farm, Azolla forms a thick layer and cover all farm area and work as organic mulching which doesn’t allow to produce weed. also it slow water evaporation rate and maintain soil moisture for a long time.
Azolla has another ability Azolla restrict mosquito breeding process, and thus Azolla also called as “mosquito fern.”
Azolla cultivation procedure
- Create an artificial pond for growing Azolla.
- For creating Azolla cultivation pond, select partially shaded area because Azolla needs 30% sunlight too much sunlight will destroy the plant. The area under the tree is preferable.
- If you decide to grow an Azolla for the large scale you can make small concrete tanks otherwise you can make the pond any size you want.
- Dig out the soil for pond and level the soil after that spread the plastic sheet around the ground to prevent water loss. Make sure the pond is at least 20 CM Deep.
- Add some soil uniformly on the plastic sheet in the pond. For 2M X 2M size pond add 10-15 kg soil.
- Azolla needs Phosphorus to grow well you can use Super Phosphate along with cow dung slurry. Cow dung increases the available nutrients. Use, cow dung 4-5 days old.
- Next, fill the pond with water to a level of about 10 cm this will allow the short route of the Azolla Plant to float freely then leave the pond for 2 to 3 days so the ingredients can settle.
- After 2-3 days add Azolla culture in the pond by gently rubbing Azolla in hands. It helps break Azolla into smaller pieces for faster multiplication.
- After two-week start harvesting. form pond of 2M X 2M size, you can harvest 1kg Azolla each day.
Important tips to grow Azolla
- Azolla rapidly grows so maintain Azolla biomass 300 gms – 350 gms /sq.meter hence harvest daily to avoid overcrowding.
- Add once in 5 days mixture of Super Phosphate, and cow dung also add mixture containing magnesium, iron, copper,
Sulfur etc. at weekly intervals to enhance the mineral content of Azolla.
- Replace 25 to 30% old water with fresh water, once in 10 days; it helps to prevent nitrogen build up in the pond.
- Replace complete water and soil, at least once in six months and then add Fresh Azolla seeds.
- Maintain the water level of at least 10 cm, so Azolla root doesn’t grow in the soil by keeping the roots floating it becomes easy to harvest.
- Harvested Azolla wash thoroughly, so it removes dirt and smell of cow dung and then feeds them to animals.
Where can you Buy Azolla plant?
you can get an Azolla plant from neighboring farmers, local agriculture officer or some Agricultural Research organizations like KVK also you can buy from the online website.
Azolla is ideal feed for livestock. If you take good care of your Azolla pond, you can harvest good quality weed every day, and it definitely reduces your cost on feed and fertilizer.